Thursday, April 16, 2009

On aging

My 25th birthday is looming. About a month ago I straightforwardly told TJ that I wanted creams and makeups that would slow down the aging process. I was joking though. But, maybe there was a twinge of serious in there.

********

Today at the grocery store a young girl of 10 came to look at my baby and talk to me about life. She was spry and precocious. Sophie and TJ came to meet Zanib (my friend) and Zanib, seeing that I had two children, shockingly looked at me and said, "How old are you, anyway?"

"25" I answered, my voice thick with disgust and hinting that I OBVIOUSLY DO NOT look even close.

Then this sweet little girl retorted, "No offense but..."

"But what?" I said. (I don't know why I said it, I knew I wasn't going to like what I heard).

"But, you look, (she saw the pleading look in my eyes) well, kind of, older than that."

I literally had no response to that and Zanib saw our brief encounter had abruptly ended. She ran back to her family.

*******

TJ only has laughed up to this point when I've asked him for creams and age defying items. I don't know how much I am joking anymore.

4 comments:

The Teej said...

Does lingerie count as "age defying"? Also, it should be mentioned that Zanib, though precocious (and somewhat annoying), didn't really have much of a concept of age. Her first comment to Deb was "That is the smallest baby I've ever seen! What is he, like a day old?" Henry is nearly 11 lbs and looks more like 3 months old - roughly 900% older than Zanib first thought. Applying her age-perception disability to her estimate of Debra's age, we would have to assume that she was multiplying Deb's actual age by a factor of 900. In this case, Debra must have really appeared to be a sweet 20 or 21 to our myopic little grocery store tween, she just couldn't interpret 21 as being young, since that is over double her own age. BTW, I think Debra still looks as though she is not a day over 20 and categorically refuse to purchase her anything that makes her look younger.

Sara Lyn said...

You absolutely do NOT look older than your age. What was she thinking?!

nicwoo said...

Teej, the best and most practical argument I've ever encountered on the subject-! Good for you. And Deb, I haven't seen you since high school and I think you still look young and darling as ever in all your photos.
(I just think I looked more tired having a new baby/nursing/etc. too. So there. The observation is not true.)

The Bliss Bouquet said...

Deb,
Being, ummm, somewhat older than you,...
how exactly am I supposed to interpret that you want age defying creams? I think I may be getting a complex. Does that contribute to wrinkles?