Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Black Sheep??? Or Love?

So my parents are getting married today. I feel an awful lot like Dharma. Except for the fact that these parents are not flower children, living a life null of marital responsiblity. These are my parents who, back in April, simply could not get over a rough spot. They called it quits--lived without each other for 3 months and towards the latter of the second month realized just how much the other brought into their life. They started going out to dinner, calling each other on the phone, and doing their laundry together. It has been an interesting summer to say the least.

I got engaged in June and upon telling my fiance all about my family I have begun to realize more and more how strange we really are. But amid all our oddities there is love. A love that I have only really grown attached to recently. At first it bothered me that my family is nothing like the typical mormon family. (did I mention that I am of that religious background? well I am!) It sometimes bothered me that someday I would have to introduce someone to them and say to that person, "hey babe (sugar, honey, pet name, etc), so my family is all crazy, but will you still love me? I promise I won't be like them." Knowing well enough that I would probably end up with some similar characteristics. I do not encourage their activities, as I am sure they do not encourage mine. But, we are family! A family, nontheless, who needs love, and needs it maybe even more than the Smiths, or the Nephites. So where am I going with this?

Well, I guess it just amazed me that as much as I can tell other people about the crazy things in my family-- who is in trouble with the law, and who's been married how many times, who does this or that--I can also sit back and revel at the good times. I can look at my my family and love and admire their creativity, desires, growth, and characteristics. I choose not to pity for mistakes, but rather find more ability to care with this new found love. I just love my family! It may sound uneducated, or it may sound like I just don't have the type of vocabulary to express it, but that is just how it is.

My ex-Step Dad used to sing this song, "I am the black sheep of my family." I remember thinking that if there was always one, who would it be in mine? And, I would often come to the conclusion that it was me because I am really not much like everyone else. And, now I understand that depending on the perspective, anyone could be a "black sheep." But the real question is, does it matter? Do I care? NO WAY. They are my family and I love them. If we were all alike then we wouldn't be as interesting as we are. I am a part of them as much as they are a part of me. I may not join in on all of the festives, but I do join in on the memories, and fun times. And, I love them more with a love that I really cannot explain. (sorry about being redundant)

I guess what I am trying to say is that every family may have their differences, and mine maybe especially unique. I can laugh about those differences and enjoy everyone at the same time. I can see the things I choose not to do in my own life, but amazing enough as it seemed in the beginning, I look over those differences and love my family for the little things and for the joy they bring into my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY LADY!!!
I am one of your crazy family members. We all love you even if we are all crazy at times. Nobody is perfect and our family shows that quite often. We are so fortunate for free agency. Without it we would not be the unique and loving family that you have been blessed with. Each family member in their own uniquness has helped make you who you are today...this minute. Most days we don't see things eye to eye but our hearts are still tied together by the same experiences. Please just except us as individuals that love you for who you are...we only ask for the same in return.
Leslie

Debra Darling said...

Leslie,

I do accept my family for who they are. That is what it was about. Thanks for reminding me about that.